Senior Full Stack Developer – Remote
Aggregage is building the next generation of B2B media and marketing. We launch business segment-specific sites that bring together the widest content set from industry thought-leaders and use social media, machine intelligence/smart algorithms and big data personalization to compile newsletters with the most relevant content for each and every reader. Using our proprietary technology platform, we curate and rank hundreds of pieces of content coming daily into each site using the audience’s social media signals. Our technology personalizes the content so that each reader sees the most interesting and relevant content. We have launched over 35 sites and using our highly scalable platform, we are planning to launch hundreds more.
Come join an experienced and successful group of founders – Clicker, eHarmony, etc. – and their team at this groundbreaking time. We are profitable and capitalized for growth over the next several years. Our billion-dollar potential is based on a real business model, not just hope and dreams.
We are looking for a Senior Full Stack Developer to join our small, but passionate, team. You will work closely with your fellow development team members to help us build out features and scale the systems.We believe in building the best team possible, regardless of geographic location. That said we have meetings and collaboration time that overlaps with the US Pacific Time Zone so team members must be able to be available during some of those hours each work day.
As a team, we strive for:
- Stakeholder and team impact. Our business is based on doing great things for our stakeholders: subscribers, bloggers, partners and clients. To make that happen our team needs to care about them and about each other. The best teammates are the ones who, regardless of function or discipline, are eager and excited to find a way to connect their work directly to stakeholders and teammates.
- Trusted independence with interdependence. You are fully trusted as a full owner of the work you do; self-determined, responsible, accountable, and celebrated. With that freedom, you acknowledge, a broader social context. We work together, we partner, we collaborate, and we make sure the work we take on and hand off is done thoughtfully and with care.
- Learn and improve. We are in a constant learning and improving mode. We define what we want to try and believe will have a good outcome. We learn from what happens without worrying about something that doesn’t achieve the desired outcome. We continuously retro across the organization to improve.
- Sincere care. We work at Aggregage because we believe in the vision, we believe in our team and we believe in our ability to build something wonderful. It is those beliefs that also mean we care about our stakeholders, we care about the vision, we care about each other, and we care about building something wonderful. We sincerely want our team and other stakeholders to succeed.
As an engineer, what we hope you strive for:
- The ability to work independently and with other engineers to develop new features and support/maintain the existing system.
- Have the ability to work on multiple parts of a web application, from server-side logic to dynamic frontend interfaces.
- Collaborate with product, other engineers, and stakeholders to understand business goals, analyze requirements, formulate solutions, and ensure the successful execution of new functionality.
- Participate in code review and other forms of knowledge sharing.
- Support Aggregage staff in what they need from the application.
Experience and Skills we are looking for:
- 3+ years with Java, in particular with large codebases and several thousands of users. An understanding of how to organize code for clarity and maintainability.
- 2+ years experience developing web applications with Java Frameworks such as Spring, Dropwizard, or Wicket.
- 1+ years experience working with MySQL, including schema design and query tuning.
- 1+ years deploying on Linux servers, using command line tools and performing basic server administration tasks and system performance analysis.
- An excellent “system intuition.” We have complex systems built up over more than 8 years which require a strong ability to debug and quickly understand what is going on.
- Excellent planning, communication and collaboration skills.
- Understanding of best practices for web development, software design, and devops principles.
Nice to have, but not fully required experience:
- Previous remote working experience.
- Prior client services, consulting, or freelancing experience.
- Working in a startup environment.
- Working on web applications that process large volumes of data and/or receive high volumes of traffic.
- Java performance analysis.
- Mustache templates for server-side rendering.
- Using Lucene or SOLR for full-text indexing and searching.
- Git source control management.
- Ant or Maven build tools.
How to Apply
Direct applicants only. No recruiters and no agencies please.
Please send us an email to email@example.com sharing more about yourself.
We’d also like you to answer these two questions for us:
- Please provide some reasons why you’re interested in joining our team at Aggregage and why you believe it may be a mutual fit?
- Tell us about an interesting technical challenge you’ve faced in the past. Share the problem, your approach in scoping down potential solutions, and what the final outcome was.